Sunday, October 08, 2006

100 Million Sinfest Each Day!



Tatsuya Ishida is the man. Kudos if you know who he is. If not, click here, then go here, read the comic, click 'next' and repeat until you get back to the comic which is currently on the front page. No, really, it is that good.

I started reading it sometime in 2002. It was one of those things Seth introduced me to back in our dorky days in room 17 of Willamette Hall (aka "the lab"). Amazon rankings seem to suggest that Sinfest is not as popular as Dilbert or Calvin and Hobbes. This has always surprised me for I think Sinfest is at least just as good. Nevertheless, Sinfest seems to have been gaining quite a bit of terrain over the last few years. According to Alexa about 100 million people read Tatsuya's brilliant and hilarious politically-incorrect social commentary. Maybe there is still a little bit of hope left...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll give you dilbert, but to suggest it is as good as calvin and hobbs is just blasphemous. The only comic that compares to Calvin and Hobbs is Bloom County, but even then its hard to compare the two as bloom county is really a political cartoon and calvin and hobbs is really only outclassed by its historical predecessor Little Nemo (which might be the greatest comic of all time since it was first) little nemo written between 1905 and 1910 only on sunday (and it got one entire newspaper page in color). Anyways . . . you are a bad person and have probably never read any of the comics I am talking about all the way through (plus sin fest wouldn't exist without calvin and hobbs, its just too derivative of Calvin and Hobbs and other stuff to be considered at the same level . . .) I enjoy online comics, and there are some very good ones, but I think one must give respect to their roots, and appreciate the history of the art. -z

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, think that you are a bad person...but this is only because the voices in my head are informing me of this. I don't think that I could make that judgement based on your taste in comics alone. Then again, that's just me.

6:55 PM  
Blogger rz said...

Granted: I've never read all of Calvin & Hobbes.

Granted: C&H is excellent.

Granted: Sinfest is inspired and influenced by C&H.

I tend to like thinking blasphemous thoughts, though. Just because C&H is classic doesn't mean that it can't be outdone by something that was inspired/influenced by it. Now, I didn't make such claim and I'm not making it now. I just said Sinfest is just as good (in my book) and the 'at least' referred more to Dilbert.

I do fail to see how saying that I'm surprised not as many people buy Sinfest on Amazon says something about comics written in 1905. I'm sorry my liking of comics that are written today, about issues we live today offends you :-P I am a bad person, though, so...

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fun stuff... i think ur a bad person too =) jk

3:14 AM  
Blogger rz said...

...and a follow up:

check check this out :-) I had forgotten about that one.

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home