Thursday, October 26, 2006

Physicists Rule?

This might as well be a strip from phdcomics. 'berto and I were in the grad lounge when Paul showed up. Paul is several years ahead of us, probably close to graduating. He is also the president of the Physics student association or something similar. He is in charge of organizing talks, worrying about what we need in our new lounge and things like that.

"What year are you, Paul?" I asked.

"What year is it? 2006?" Was the reply.

It is too bad that Jorge has already thought of exploiting the abundance of quirks in the world of academic science. One could have a journal (or comic) just about them and never run out of material!

A couple of days ago Israel came down the stairs looking upset.

"Nobody understands Thermodynamics!"

"I think that is true," Said I.


Pita Pete's feels like home. No, not Pita Pit. Pita Pete's. Tons of organic produce. A very Eugene feel. You can stuff as many veggies in your pita as you want. Fresh humus. Wonderful. Today Pete even asked if it was ok with me if they sauteed my veggies on the same skillet they use to cook the meat. Somehow Pete and I got to talking about politics while my falafel was cooking.

"You know what the problem is?" Pete said frustrated.

"There are too many lawyers who are politicians. How much money do lawyers make?"

"Way too much," I answered as Pete continued.

"In other countries being a lawyer is just a middle class profession -- not here! That's because they are in control. I say we need more scientists and engineers in congress!"

Surprisingly, I replied "Well... I agree."

Scientists running for office? I don't think that will happen too soon. Google even seems to think there is something wrong with the phrase! Apparently we should be training for office. Maybe they mean office hours? I heard answering questions from freshman physics students can be quite demanding.

In any event, the question is: do we want the same people who are not sure what year is it or who are convinced that we don't understand one of our oldest theories to be in charge of things? You may have to think about that one, but for me it is a no-brainer. Of course we do! ;-)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha i agree... geeks should give it a try =)

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

physucusts in congress... that would be the end of the US as we know it, they are actually very proud of just being really problematic all the time going against everyone and being ... how can i put it... just a litlle dumb, you've got to love it! someday we'll take over the world... very pinky y cerebro no?

6:35 AM  
Blogger rz said...

More like YOU> are a little dumb. :-P :-D I kid, I kid.

I disagree! Physicists are not problematic. We never disagree with anybody. And proud? Ha! Proud? Arrogant? What us? No! We're all humble like Feynman. Oh wait...

The US as we know it could use some work, though.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that the US as we know it needs some work... =)

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home